IMPACT Silver Spring believes that passion and talent are key to being an effective social entrepreneur—individuals with the skill and will to design and execute innovative solutions to our community's most pressing problems.
If you are interested in job or internship opportunities at IMPACT, please see positions below.
About IMPACT Silver Spring
IMPACT Silver Spring was founded in 1999 to support the Silver Spring community as it faced the challenges and opportunities presented by extreme demographic and economic change. Our mission is to “build neighborhood-based networks that ignite inclusive local economies and vibrant communities.” Throughout our history this unique approach to community building and problem solving has helped diverse groups take collaborative action together to address complex social issues in our County. Today, we leverage the power of these networks and the social capital that they produce to help people generate new economic and civic momentum in their own lives and in the life of their neighborhoods.
The Executive Director, in partnership with the Board of Directors, is responsible for leading the strategic growth and continued sustainability of the organization’s innovative approach to community building, network building, and community change in Montgomery County. The Director will spark and lead strategic initiatives, relationship building (internal and external), and other processes that ensure the development of our unique work across the County. The Executive Director will support and hold accountable the organization’s Senior Leadership Team, which is responsible for program delivery, human resources, strategic communications, resource development, financial management and organizational operations.
Lastly, IMPACT is in the final year of a three-year plan to focus our network building efforts in ways that generate new economic opportunity and progress amongst our county’s most vulnerable and isolated citizens. The incoming Executive Director must have demonstrated experience working with board, staff, and a diverse base of stakeholders on a process to evaluate and evolve the organization’s strategic direction.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Strategic Planning and Organizational Accountability
● Board development and support.
● Staff development and evaluation.
● Annual strategic plan, review, and evaluation: programs, operations, fundraising, organizational fidelity.
● Cultivate relationships and institutional partnerships that help develop and support strategic plan.
Organizational Development and Sustainability
● Serve as a primary spokesperson for key messages and brand.
● Ensure effective use of program strategies towards plan, with particular emphasis on network building approach.
● Ensure effective resource development and financial management, with emphasis on long-term sustainability.
● Create and maintain an organizational culture - including physical space - that supports effective use of human resources and network building.
Fundraising and Income Generation
● Serve as the organization’s primary fundraiser.
● Work with the Board of Directors and the Resource Development staff to develop and execute an annual fundraising plan.
● Coordinate with the Resource Development team to identify, cultivate and secure new institutional fundraising partners and individual donors.
● Identify and secure new partners to provide capital and technical assistance to support inclusive local economy projects.
● Create and lead a process for responding to requests for technical assistance and income generating projects.
Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 10 years of experience in the non-profit, private, and/or public sectors in the areas of management and senior level leadership. The candidate should exhibit a demonstrated capacity for crafting and communicating innovative ideas that activate a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders around the organization’s mission. The candidate should be cognizant of the best practices of financial management, effective fundraising, staff development, and program evaluation. Bilingual and multilingual skills are preferred but not required.
Other Key Attributes
● Implementer: Demonstrated ability to develop and execute well thought out strategic and operational plans.
● Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and affirming in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency.
● Consensus Builder: Comfortable making decisions in a highly collaborative environment with staff and stakeholders at every level of the organization.
● Relationship Builder: Initiate, establish and maintain positive working relationships with others in a thriving, multicultural context—both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
● Effective Communicator: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
● Creative and Innovative: Develop new ways to improve operations of the organization and create opportunities for change and impact.
● Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
● Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
● Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
Salary and Benefits
▪ Salary maximum - $85,000 depending on experience
▪ Leave policy including paid vacation and holidays; sick and personal days
▪ Health insurance policy with employer contribution